- You don’t have to achieve great things by the time you’re 25.
- You have intrinsic value above and beyond your perceived utility to other people and society at large.
- You don’t have to have sex, or have sex in any way that you find uncomfortable or unpleasant, to keep anyone’s love or good opinion of you. They didn’t love you or think very well of you to start with if they demand it.
- You don’t have to stay with someone who isn’t meeting your emotional or sexual needs because they need you, or you’ve been with them for awhile, or you need to be in a relationship. You need you. Your time is your own and it is finite.
- It’s ok to work at a job you enjoy that doesn’t make you miserable even if it’s not a career and it won’t “lead to anything.”
- Your life is not a narrative. It is not leading to anything, there is no overarching thesis, it does not have themes beyond the usual shared cultural experiences of your time and place. This is ok. It does not mean that your life is without purpose or meaning.
- It’s ok not to like or get along with the vast majority of people you encounter, so long as you afford them the same respect, courtesy and dignity that they afford you.
- Expensive is not always better.
- Failure is temporary if you’re still alive.
- People are both much better and much worse than you’d suspect, but usually not all at once.
- Stop thinking of your future self as a different person and it will be easier to prevent money and health problems.
- Let people help you, lean on them when you need to, and be available to help, but don’t swing too far in either direction. Try to carry your half of the life basket as evenly as you can.
- Set boundaries, and do not be afraid to kick people out of your life who disregard them. You will not end up alone and unloved. People who love you will be ok with your boundaries.
- Your power does not come from money or beauty, but from seeing life steadily and wholly, from a curious and thoughtful mind, and from your ability to say no when you want to, and yes when you want to, and I don’t know when you don’t know.
- There will be bad times, maybe lots of bad times, but not only bad times.
- Love will not heal the wounds in your soul, but love can give you the impetus to begin the work of healing yourself.
- Life might be a long series of starting over, and that’s alright.
- You’re really cool, you’re really beautiful, you’re really special. Really. Not to everyone, but to a lot of someones sometimes.
"Elmo is with his good friend, Lupita. They are talking about all the great things about their skin. For example, Elmo’s skin just happens to be very ticklish. Lupita’s skin happens to be a beautiful brown color. Skin can come in all different shades and colors. Isn’t skin just the best? However, ticklish or smooth or black or brown or white or tan, be sure to love the skin you are in."
I love this. I LOVE THIS. I love this. Children need to see this. Adults need to see this.
damn her skin is everything her arms as toned as fuq i am so stressed
nani was NINETEEN and such a fucking badass who was so protective of lilo and just ROLLED with aliens being a thing towards the end of the movie. #1 Disney relative of all time.
I have honestly been waiting AGES for the right gifset to express the wonderful perfection that is Nani. She is not only protective of Lilo, she respects the way Lilo’s imagination and quirkiness works.
Pudge the fish got a peanut butter sandwich every Thursday. Nani does not argue the logic of feeding him, only suggests an alternative sandwich when they are out of peanut butter. Lilo was allowed to take as many photos of whatever mundane or odd subjects as she wanted and Nani would get them developed. Nani recognized what were important habits for Lilo.
When Lilo asks for a pet lobster, Nani does not tell her that lobsters are not pets. She tells her, “We don’t have a lobster door, we have a dog door.” She makes sure the woman at the pound does not tell Lilo that “Stitch is not a real name”.
NANI SPENDS THE ENTIRE MOVIE MAKING SURE THAT LILO NEVER FEELS LIKE HER IDEAS ARE WRONG.
The only time we truly see Nani get angry with Lilo is when she is scared of Lilo being taken away. Nani spends the entire movie stressed out over taking care of her sister, trying to find a job, trying to make sure her sister has a friend, and yet she is always willing to put that extra effort, over and over again, to make sure that Lilo always believes that anything is possible.
This is a great moment because she probably *remembered* that Lilo said this once. And you know what? She’s not ending this day by letting her little sister think this is her fault. She’s not having an easy time trying to be a parent, but she knows none of this is her sister’s fault, and she’s not going to let her think it is.
And half of her terror of losing Lilo isn’t even just losing her family; it’s knowing that wherever Lilo goes, they won’t know how to do these things. They won’t understand her.
What a good movie.
Casual reminder that the reason Lilo obsessively feeds the fish is because her parents died in a rainstorm and she firmly believes Pudge controls the weather. If you pay attention to the feeding sequence you will notice that storm clouds recede and dissipate, a visual narrative that confirms this.
It’s not just a habit. It’s a very real part of Lilo’s healing process and Nani understands that.
Also if you pay attention to Nani’s room you’ll notice she had surfing posters and trophies. She was very much on her way to being a pro surfer but had to give it up to become the adult Lilo needed her to be.
And not ONCE does Nani show her sister any resentment. It’s worth it to keep her family together. This is a young woman who is willing to sacrifice all of her dreams and make incredibly grown up decisions.
What I am saying is Nani is the best disney princess of all time. Disney Queen even.
LOVE this movie
"The Bearded Bunch captures an eclectic group of individuals with varying style, tastes, and backgrounds, the unifying factor is their beards & Philadelphia." - Curran J
Photography: Darren Burton
Location: The Duke Barber Company
h o l y f u c k i n g s h i t.
i think i just died and went to heaven
Anonymous said: What happens if you fall in love with a girl who's white? Or do you just avoid all whites at all costs?
I am literally incapable of having feelings for, let alone “falling in love” with a white person. They are not physically or mentally or emotionally or in any way attractive to me. We can talk, maybe be casual online friends, but that’s the extent of a relationship I can have with a cracker.
Reasons why PoC don’t talk and hang out with white people:
- Because they’re tired of various microagressions.
- Because they fear they are being fetishized
- Because they are tired of racism
- Because they are tired of having to explain every aspect of racism to an ignorant white person who is unaware of their privilege
- Because they are tired of being treated like a token minority
- Because they are tired of having to explain various elements of their cultural practices only to have them laughed at
- Because they are tired of having their accents and those of their parents laughed at
- Because they are tired of ignorant ‘well-meaning’ questions
- Because they are tired of racist ‘jokes’
- Because they are tired of being seen as ‘overreacting’ when they point out problematic things that white people say
Reasons why white people don’t hang out with, interact with, or get involved with PoC
- Because they are ‘weird’
- Because they fear that they will say and do something racist and be labelled as a racist, which is much worse to white people than actually BEING a racist
- Because of anti-Black racism
- Because of stereotypes, e.g. Asian girls are shy, Black people are ghetto, etc.
- Seriously, that’s it.
Study Series, 2011, Charcoal and pastel on paper, 50 x 70cm
The work looks at the lasting affects upon the individual who finds themselves absent from the dominant cultural fiction that is tasked to posit them within ideological framework of society. What effects does this have upon a child when they glance into the cultural mirror and fail to see their reflection?
there are 57 countries on this map in pink. people forget about this shit and think that British and European colonialism happened like 500 years ago. no. Brunei declared independence in 1984. 1984 was not at all long ago. hammer this shit into your brain. this is imperialism and colonialism started, it is where racism and the current oppressive world order were constructed.
water is fucked up because you need it to live and then it drowns you just because it can
Oxygen’s even more fucked up because you need it to process your most basic functions and from the very first breath you take, it is already working on oxidizing literally every part of you. We spend our whole lives being broken down by oxygen, one chemical reaction at a time.
Science side is morbid tonight
Y’all alright over there, science tumblr?
i’m overly invested in his success and i don’t curr
What a cutieee